The Legion of Mary Ghana
MOTHER OF DIVINE GRACE SENATUS, ACCRA



About



History of Legion of Mary in Ghana

The Legion of Mary got to the shores of Ghana, then Gold Coast, in the year 1940 with the help of Bishop Adolph Noser. Bishop Noser was ordained into the priesthood for the evangelisation of the missions in the U.S.A. a few years after the Legion of Mary was started in Dublin, Ireland in September 1921. Convinced of the apostolic potentialities of the Legion of Mary, the then Rev Fr. Noser established a praesidium at St. Mary’s Major Seminary in Techny, Illinois, USA when he became its Rector. His idea was that with this establishment, all the S.V.D missionaries trained there would be charged with the zeal for the spread of the gospel and salvation of souls before going abroad. It was natural therefore that when Rev. Fr. Noser himself was sent as the first Missionary Superior of the S.V.D. Accra, Gold Coast in 1939, he immediately established the Legion of Mary in the country. His historic and inquiring letter of 26th April 1940 to Concillium Legionis Mariae, Dublin was promptly and positively answered by Br. Nagle, then Concillium President, with enough materials for the start of the Legion.

Accra Senatus

The first Praesidium of the Legion of Mary in Ghana, “Mother Pure Heart” (an Ewe-speaking Praesidium) was established at the Sacred Heart Parish, Derby Avenue, Accra in July 1940. The first English-speaking Praesidium, “Our Lady of Sacred Heart” was established in 1941, also at the Sacred Heart Church, Derby Avenue in Accra. The Legion spread quickly; Koforidua had a Praesidium in 1942, Nsawam in 1943 and Nkawkaw in 1947.

With the growth of English-speaking Praesidia in Accra, the first Curia, “Mother of Divine Grace” was formed in August 1947. The Curia was elevated to a Comitium, “Mother of Divine Grace” in December 1949. From Accra, the first Comitium Legion spread to Cape Coast (Central Region), where it grewmore rapidly due to the fact that the majority of members were literate Akans. By 1966, the Legion had spread across the country to the extent that a Legion of Mary Congress in Kumasi, (the most centrally located city), took place.

Cape Coat became a Comitium under Accra 1970. For Sekondi-Takoradi Diocese, “Queen of Universe” which was a Praesidium in 1999 became a Curia with 7 other affiliated Praesidia in April 2000. It was inaugurated as “Our Lady of Assumption” Comitium Asankragwa (with two Curia affiliated) in August 2001. Unfortunately, the Comitium collapsed until 2016 when a donation from Rev. Sr. Julia Anokye, HSC was used to revive the Legion into “Mirror of Justice” Curia, Takoradi. Tema became a Comitium under Accra in 2011. Accra received Regia status 1992, and Senatus status in 2004, the 64th year of the establishment of the Legion in Ghana.

Kumasi Regia

The Legion of Mary was established in Kumasi, then a Vicariate in the Gold Coast in 1941. At that time, what used to be Kumasi Vicariate is now the Kumasi Province, comprised of the Dioceses of Kumasi, Sunyani, Obuasi, Konongo-Mampong and Goaso. Due to the increasing number of Praesidia, permission was granted for the formation of a Curia in Kumasi, which was named “Mother of Christ” Curia. With the ever-increasing number of Praesidia and Curia attached to the “Mother of Christ” Curia, the status of Comitium was conferred on the Curia in 1969. After several years of dedicated service by the “Mother of Christ” Comitium, the Concilium conferred the status of Regia on the Comitium in December 2005.

Sunyani Regia

From Kumasi, the Legion of Mary was introduced in Bechem in 1947, in Berekum in 1948, in Wenchi in 1951, in Dormaa Ahenkro in 1954, in Techiman in 1959 and in Sunyani in 1960. The forst Praesidium in Sunyani was the “Star of the Sea” Praesidium. As a result of hard work and good performance, the Sunyani “Star of the Sea” Praesidium was raised to a Curia status in 1973. Six years later, the Sunyani Curia was raised in status to that of Comitium. The Sunyani Comitium was raised in status to that of Regia in 2005.

Sunyani Regia has a supervisory role over the activities of the Legion of Mary in the Dioceses of Sunyani (Curiae), Goaso (Comitium) and Techiman (Comitium).

The Northern Councils

In North Western Ghana, the Legion of Mary was first introduced in the Kaleo Parish in the Wa Diocese. The first Praesidium in Kaleo, “Queen of All Saints”, was started in March 1958 by the SMI Sisters. In 1963, the Nandom Praesidium was started by a White Father. In 1996 Dublin granted Wa Deanery, a Comitium status. Wa, Jirapa and Nandom are now Comitia under Sunyani Regia while Damango is a Curia under the same Regia. Bolgatanga has a Comitium. Tamale has a Curia. Both are affiliated to Kumasi Regia.